With the generous support of David Rubenstein and the Library of Congress, the Iowa Center for the Book will recognize an organization that has made an outstanding contribution to increasing literacy in Iowa.
Literacy organizations may self-nominate or be nominated by others. The Iowa Center for the Book will have a panel of judges read the nominations and name an award winner. The award will be presented to the winning organization in October at the State Law Library of Iowa in Des Moines. The award will be accompanied by a check for $800 to support the work of the organization.
Eligible: Iowa organizations for the Award include non-profits, faith-based organizations, and public libraries.
Not eligible: Individuals, statewide Iowa government organizations, Iowa corporations, and Iowa schools whether public, private, k-12 or academic.
Examples of programs that successfully focus on one or more (but not limited to) of the following goals:
- Address social barriers to literacy
- Increase motivation to read and write
- Increase awareness of the problem of illiteracy
- Facilitate access to reading materials
- Cultivate community partnerships
- Foster early intervention and family engagement
- Foster adult literacy
Nominating an Iowa Literacy Organization
- Nominations open on June 10, 2016 and close on August 5, 2016.
- Nominations will consist of:
- A one-page cover letter from the nominator with complete contact information for the nominator and for the nominated literacy organization including its website address
- A statement of impact which explains (in 750 words or less) the value of the organization’s work
- One letter of support.
- Nominations will be judged on the following criteria:
- Community involvement
- Impact of a particular program(s)
- Organization’s commitment and support
Questions: Please contact Helen Dagley, ICB Coordinator at email@example.com.
Nominations for the Iowa Literacy Award must be emailed as Word document attachments, with Iowa Literacy Award in the subject line, to the Iowa Center for the Book at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please do not send nominations until June 10; nominations are due no later than August 5, 2016.