Comments from the book artist: During my career I've made a number of one-of-a-kind artist's books using handmade paper and leather as the primary materials. I teach courses at the University of Iowa Center for the Book that address the history, technique, science, and aesthetics of hand papermaking. As the Director of the University of Iowa Center for the Book, I also oversee the UICB Research and Production Paper Facility.
I'm intrigued with hand papermaking history, technique, science and aesthetics. My areas of research have been Japanese and 15th Century German and Italian papermaking. I enjoy making paper, and talking with people about any aspect of the craft.
Awards received and dates:
- MacArthur Fellowship, 2010-2015
- Newberry Library Short Term Fellowship, 2007
- Anita Lynn Forgach Award, 2003, Friends of Dard Hunter
- National Archives and Records Administration, 2000-2001, Commission to produce special paper for re-encasement of The Charters of Freedom
- Fulbright Fellowship and renewal, 1975-1977, research on Japanese papermaking
Artist's web site: http://book.grad.uiowa.edu/people/timothy-barrett
Tim Barrett's Paper History Website http://book.grad.uiowa.edu/news/01-19-2012/uicb-s-tim-barrett-launches-paper-history-website
Tim Barrett Short Documentary Film on Chancery Papermaking http://book.grad.uiowa.edu/news/06-03-2013/new-uicb-short-documentary-film-on-papermaking found directly at http://youtu.be/e-PmfdV_cZU
This artist is a: Papermaker, and member of a Book/Printing Organization
Audience Types: Adults
Do you encourage visits to your studio or business? Yes
Are you willing to do programs or exhibits for libraries, schools or other groups? Yes
If so, are there fees associated with your program or exhibit? No
E-mail Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Books by this artisan
- Japanese Papermaking: Traditions, Tools and Techniques, Weatherhill, New York, 1983.