Pen Name: Zachary Michael Jack
Comments from the author about writing: I think public libraries turned me, kicking and screaming, into a reader and a writer. Waiting around in town while the adults in our lives took care of errands meant we kids had a few hours to kill. After a while it was a war of attrition, and the books won. Then too, I grew up on a multi-generational farm, and in its many layers of histories, myriad settings, and its periods of intense and often dramatic action alternated with moments of quiet reflection, stories are bound to brew. The people I grew up with seemed always to be doing epic things, and the heroes and heroines you know make for the best and the nearest kinds of protagonists.
Literary awards received and date received:
- Nominee, Herbert Warren Wind Book Award, 2011
- Nominee, William Hill Sports Book of the Year Award, 2011
- Winner, Silver Medal, Foreword Review's Book of the Year Competition, 2010
- Nominee, Pushcart Prize (Best of the Small Presses), 1999, 2007
- Winner, Prentice Hall Prize for Poetry, 2000
Book Types: Fiction, Nonfiction, Poetry Collection, Short Story Collection
Audience Types: All Ages
Genre: Biography, Essays, History, Politics, Drama, Creative nonfiction, Literary journalism, Fable, Prose poetry, Poetry, Personal essay, Place-based writing, Epistolary writing, Nature writing, Sports writing
Are you willing to do programs for schools, libraries, or other groups? Yes
If you are willing to do programs, will you charge a fee? Fees negotiable. Discounted fees considered for Iowa-based non-profits.
E-mail Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Author's Web site: http://zacharyjack.org
Books By This Author
- Corn Poll: A Novel of the Iowa Caucuses, Tall Corn Books. North Liberty, October 2016.
- Pond Ball Clintock and the Gods of Golf: An Novel for True Believers, North Liberty, Iowa: Tall Corn Books, 2013.
- The Midwest Farmer’s Daughter: In Search of An American Icon, West Lafayette, Ind.: Purdue University Press, 2012.
- Native Soulmate: A Season in Search of a Love Homegrown, North Liberty, Iowa: Tall Corn Books, 2011.
- Let There Be Pebble: A Middle-Handicapper’s Year in America’s Garden of Golf, Lincoln, Neb.: University of Nebraska Press, 2011.
- The Links of Evalon, Sportswriters Collaborative Press, 2010.
- The Green Roosevelt: Theodore Roosevelt in Appreciation of Wilderness, Wildlife, and Wild Places, Amherst, NY: Cambria Press, 2010.
- Homer Croy Corn Country: Travel Writing, Literary Journalism, Memoir, North Liberty, Iowa: Tall Corn Books, 2010.
- What Cheer: A Love Story, North Liberty, Iowa: Tall Corn Books, 2010.
- Iowa, the Definitive Collection: Classic and Contemporary Readings by Iowans, About Iowa, North Liberty Books, Iowa: Tall Corn Books, 2009.
- Participatory Sportswriting: An Anthology 1870-1937. Jefferson, N.C.: McFarland Publishers, 2008.
- Farewell to Sport, University of Nebraska Press, 2008.
- Inside the Ropes: Sportswriters Get Their Game On, University of Nebraska Press, 2008.
- Liberty Hyde Bailey: Essential Agrarian and Environmental Essays, Cornell University Press, 2008.
- The Plowman Sings: The Essential Fiction, Poetry, and Drama of America’s Forgotten Regionalist Jay G. Sigmund, University Press of America, 2008.
- Uncle Henry Wallace: Letters to Farm Families, Purdue University Press, 2008.
- Letters to a Young Iowan, Standing by Words Center and Ice Cube Press, 2007.
- Student Body: A Benefit Mystery Novella, iUniverse, 2006.
- Love of the Land: Essential Farm and Conservation Readings from an American Golden Age, Cambria Press, 2006.
- Perfectly Against the Sun, Smithtown Press, 2006.
- The Inanity of Music and Wings, First World Library, 2005.
- The Furrow and Us: Essays on Soil and Sentiment, University Press of America, 2005.
- Black Earth & Ivory Tower: New American Essays from Farm and Classroom, University of South Carolina Press, 2005.