Swander, Mary L.
Comments from the author about writing: I'm a fourth generation Iowan with an interest in place-based writing--a deep exploration of the land, natural history, culture and people of a specific environment. I have explored the Iowan landscape in several of my books and plays, the most notable Driving the Body Back (poetry), Out of this World (non-fiction), Dear Iowa (drama) and Farmscape (drama). I explore the Iowa homesteading experience in my early books based on the immigrant stories of my Irish ancestors. In the later work I move through time to look at our current environmental situation.
Literary awards received and date received:
- 2009: Appointed the Poet Laureate of the State of Iowa by Governor Chet Culver
- 2006: Iowa Author Award
- 2004: Barnes and Noble Discover Great New Writers Selection (The Desert Pilgrim)
- 1994: Whiting Award
- 1986: National Endowment for the Arts Grant
- 1986: Ingram Merrill Award
- 1980: Ingram Merrill Award
- 1976: National Discovery Award
Book Types: Nonfiction, Poetry Collection
Audience Types: Adult, Young Adult
Genre: Essays, Poetry Drama
Are you willing to do programs for schools, libraries, or other groups? Yes
If you are willing to do programs, will you charge a fee? Yes
Author Web site URL: http://www.maryswander.com
Books By This Author
- Succession, University of Georgia Press, Athens, GA, 1979
- Driving the Body Back Driving the Body Back, Alfred Knopf, New York, NY, 1986
- Parsnips in the Snow, University of Iowa Press, Iowa City, IA, 1990
- Dear Iowa, [Mary Swander, Chris Frank, Michael Sokoloff, Michael A. Carey], Ames, IA, 1991.
- Heaven-and-Earth House: Poems, Alfred Knopf, New York, NY, 1994
- The Land of the Fragile Giants, [Cornelia Fleischer Mutel, Mary Swander, Lynette Pohlman], University of Iowa Press, 1994
- Out of this World, Viking Penguin, New York, NY, 1995
- Bloom and Blossom, Ecco, New York, NY, 1997
- The Healing Circle, Plume, New York NY, 1998
- The Desert Pilgrim: En Route to Mysticism and Miracles, Viking/Penguin, 2003
- The Girls on the Roof, Word Tech, 2009
- Farmscape: The Changing Rural Environment, with Gene Logsdon, Anna Lappe, Fred Kirschenmann, and Harley McIlrath. Ice Cube Press, 2012.