Basu, Rekha B.
Comments from the author about writing: I'm a newspaper columnist, and this book is a collection of columns I've written for The Des Moines Register on women standing up for a cause or getting a first-hand education on an issue. I use people's personal stories to extrapolate larger social messages. My columns are direct, pointed and opinionated. I write because of a passion for the issues I tackle, but also because writing is like breathing to me. I need to do it to live!
Literary awards received and date received:
- Honorary Doctorate of Humane Letters from Grinnell College
- Iowa Women's Hall of Fame Cristine Wilson Medal for Equality and Justice
- Woman of Influence Award from Des Moines Business Publication
- Iowa Interfaith Alliance Award
- Iowa Farmers Union Award
- Master Columnist award from the Iowa Newspaper Association
- Associated Press Managing Editors Award
- United Nations Association Award
- South Asian Journalists Association Award
- Des Moines YWCA’s Mary Louise Smith Award for Racial Justice
- Vivian Castleberry Award for journalism on women.
- Voted best local commentator by readers in Des Moines CityView for 2012.
Book Types: Nonfiction
Audience Types: Young Adult, Adult
Are you willing to do programs for schools, libraries, or other groups? Yes
If you are willing to do programs, will you charge a fee? Negotiable, depending on the type of institution and the nature of the program.
E-mail Address: email@example.com
c/o Des Moines Register
715 Locust St.
Des Moines IA 50309
Author's Web site: https://www.facebook.com/ColumnistRekha
Books By This Author
Finding her Voice: A compilation of Des Moines Register columns about women's struggles and triumphs in the Midwest. The Des Moines Register, Des Moines, 2012.