Comments from the author about writing:
My writing focuses primarily on novels and short stories that explore the intricacies of living in the great Midwest. Similar to the Victorian and Southern gothic literary traditions, I write in the lesser-known tradition of Midwestern gothic literature. My stories feature Midwestern geographical settings and characters that buck the plain and ordinary expectations of the region to reveal the darkness and complexities behind the “Midwest nice” smiles.
My short stories and essays have appeared in Numéro Cinq, The Milo Review, Northwind Literary, Poets&Writers, The Writer and several anthologies. I hold an MFA in creative writing from Vermont College of Fine Arts and am a faculty member of the Lindenwood University MFA Creative Writing Program. I live outside Des Moines with my family.
Literary awards received and date received:
- 2014 Great River Writer’s Retreat, fourth novel-in-progress excerpt
- 2009 Iowa Arts Council Major Artist Grant, The Cure for Hopeless Causes, third novel
- 2007 American Book Award, The Space Between
- 2007 Independent Publisher's Silver Medal for General Fiction, The Space Between
- 2006 Fred Bonnie First Novelist Award, The Space Between
Book Types: Fiction
Audience Types: Adult
Genres: Literary Fiction
Are you willing to do programs for schools, libraries, or other groups? Yes
If you are willing to do programs, will you charge a fee? Negotiable
Author Web site URL: www.kalivanbaale.com
E-mail Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Books By This Author
- The Good Divide, Midwestern Gothic Press, Chicago, IL, 2016
- The Space Between, River City Publishing, Montgomery, AL, 2006.