Comments from the author about writing: Writing for me is, like life, an adventure, an act of discovery that takes new shape every day. Since my main subject is nonfiction about home, family and nature, writing has also encouraged me to be more attentive to the beauty and significance of the world immediately around me. I have lived my entire life in Iowa, part of the sixth generation in my family to do so, thus most of my writing is focused on the people and places of this state, but with the goal of uncovering universal themes that will reach a national audience. Toward that end, I have published in numerous national/international journals, magazines, newspapers and anthologies. This is one of the major inspirations behind my writing and what I love to talk about with others: The way the stories of our individual lives have the power, through artful language, to positively influence the lives of others.
Literary awards received and date received:
- National Endowment for the Arts Fellow
- Midwest Booksellers Pick for Man Killed by Pheasant and Other Kinships, 2008
- Orion Magazine's Reader's Choice Award for Man Killed by Pheasant and Other Kinships, 2009
- Honorable mention, ASLE Book Award for Environmental Writing, from the Association for the Study of Literature and the Environment for Man Killed by Pheasant and Other Kinships, 2009
Book Types: Nonfiction
Audience Types: Adult
Genre: Biography, Memoir, Environmental Writing
Are you willing to do programs for schools, libraries, or other groups? Yes
If you are willing to do programs, will you charge a fee? Yes, travel costs and honorarium.
E-mail Address: email@example.com
Author's Web site: http://www.johntprice.com/
Books By This Author
- Daddy Long Legs: The Natural Education of a Father. Boston: Trumpeter Books/Shambhala Press, 2013.
- Man Killed by Pheasant and Other Kinships. Boston: Da Capo Press, 2008; Iowa City: University of Iowa Press, 2012 paperback release.
- Not Just Any Land: A Personal and Literary Journey into the American Grasslands. Lincoln, Nebraska: University of Nebraska Press, 2004.