Comments from the author about writing: I wrote my memoir to encourage young political scientists who are just beginning their careers to realize that starting an academic career is often difficult but can ultimately be very rewarding. Then I decided that many beginnings in my life were challenging. By writing about 12 beginnings, I realized that I would have a way of relating how important episodes in my life gave me the opportunity to pursue an academic career.
Literary awards received and date received:
- Fulbright Scholar
- Co-founder of the Legislative Studies Quarterly
- Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences
- American Political Science Association’s Frank J. Goodnow Award for Distinguished Service
Book Types: Nonfiction
Audience Types: Adult
Genre: Memoir, Politics
Are you willing to do programs for schools, libraries, or other groups? Yes
If you are willing to do programs, will you charge a fee? No
Mailing Address: Department of Political Science, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242
Author's Web site: http://clas.uiowa.edu/polisci/people/gerhard-loewenberg
Books By This Author
- Moved by Politics: 12 Episodes in an Academic Life: A Memoir. Gray Pearl Press, 2012.
- On Legislatures: the Puzzle of Representation, Paradigm Publishers, Boulder Colorado, 2011.
- Legislatures: Comparative Perspectives on Representative Assemblies, edited by Gerhard Loewenberg, Peverill Squire, and D. Roderick Kiewiet. University of Michigan Press, 2002.
- Comparing Legislatures, by Gerhard Loewenberg and Samuel C. Patterson. University Press of America, 1988.
- Handbook of Legislative Research, edited by Gerhard Loewenberg, Samuel C. Patterson, Malcolm E. Jewell. Harvard University Press, 1985.