Comments from the author about writing: I am a doctorally prepared nurse who has written the bilingual story for an illustrated book for Hmong American children and their parents that models ways to promote communication and understanding for an elder with Alzheimer’s Disease. The book also was written to promote cultural understanding of Hmong and Hmong Americans by persons of other cultures and ethnic groups. I have written a second story and am working with a publisher on a proposed publication date. While I have over 70 scholarly publications, I love the creative process in writing a story for children and their families.
Literary awards received and date received:
- 2009 Skipping Stones Honor Award. Category: Multicultural & International Awareness.
- 2009 CCBC Choices. Selected by Kathleen T. Horning, Merri V. Lindgren, Tessa Michaelson, & Megan Schliesman. Picture Books for School Age Children: Grandfather’s Story Cloth / Yawg Daim Paj Ntaub Dab Neeg (pp. 68-69). Best-of-the-year list of the Cooperative Children’s Book Center. University of Wisconsin; Madison, Wisconsin.
- 2009 Notable Children’s Trade Book in the Field of Social Studies. (given by the National Council for Social Studies in cooperation with the Children’s Book Council).
- 2009 Mom’s Choice Awards. Category: Children’s Picture Book - Health and Safety. Gold Medal.
- 2008 ForeWord Magazine Book of the Year Award Winner. Category: Children’s Picture Book. Gold Medal. Announced at Book Expo in New York City.
- 2008 Moonbeam Children’s Book Award. Category: Health Issues. Silver Medal.
Book Types: Fiction
Audience Types: Children,All Ages
Genre: Realistic Fiction
Are you willing to do programs for schools, libraries, or other groups? Yes
If you are willing to do programs, will you charge a fee? I would be willing to volunteer my time. Would be nice to be reimbursed for gas mileage if I am required to travel a long distance. Presentations can be targeted to helping Hmong Americans as well as non-Hmong. The presentation could be supplemented with my large collection of story cloths if desired. I will tailor my presentation to the needs of the group.
E-mail Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Publisher Information: Shen’s Books
County: Des Moines
Books By This Author
- Gerdner L. A. and Langford, S. With illustrations by Stuart Loughridge Grandfather’s Story Cloth / Yawg Daim Paj Ntaub Dab Neeg (Bilingual: English/Hmong). Shen’s Books, Walnut Creek, CA, 2008.