Comments from the author about writing:
I write because I have stories to tell. I write about people who intrigue me and many of them are Midwesterners. Sometimes they are a bit eccentric but those are the best kind to flesh out in stories.
Sometimes I hate writing and sometimes I love it. It's not always easy. I stew and sweat over some stories but I can't make it seem like I'm doing that. When I'm in the middle of writing a new story, I don't think about the style or technique, I just let the characters lead the way. I write a "fast and dirty" draft the first time out and then I go back and revise and revise. I let stories sit a few months and then return to them. I see better when I give a story some distance.
Literary awards received and date received:
- The Egg Lady and Other Neighbors was Winner of The Headwaters Literary Competition, New Rivers Press, Moorhead, MN.
- Duff Award for the Pursuit of Excellence
- The 1997 Iowa Literary Contest
- The Nancy Pickard Fiction Contest
- Nominated three times for a Pushcart Prize.
Book Types: Short Story Collection
Audience Types: Adult
Are you willing to do programs for schools, libraries, or other groups? Yes
If you are willing to do programs, will you charge a fee? Yes
Author Web site URL: http://www.currans-sheehan.com/index.htmlMailing Address:
Briar Cliff University
3303 Rebecca St.
Sioux City, IA 51104
E-mail Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Books By This Author
- The Egg Lady and Other Neighbors, New Rivers Press, Moorhead, MN, 2005
- The River Road, New Rivers Press, Moorhead, MN, 2008