Comments from the author about writing:
I am especially interested in reaching thoughtful general audiences with my books and other writings on recent American legal topics.
Literary awards received and date received:
- Langum Project for American Legal History and Legal Biography, honorable mention for "Langum Prize" for "well-written legal history accessible to the general public" (for Griswold v. Connecticut: Birth Control and the Constitutional Right of Privacy), 2005.
- Society for History in the Federal Government "Jefferson Awards" as "outstanding reference sources on the history of the federal government" (for first and second editions of Historic U.S. Court Cases), 2002 and 1994.
- State Historical Society of Iowa, honorable mention for "Benjamin F. Shambaugh Award" for "the most significant book on Iowa history published each year" (for The Struggle for Student Rights: Tinker v. Des Moines and the 1960s), 1997.
Book Types: Nonfiction
Audience Types: Adult
Are you willing to do programs for schools, libraries, or other groups? Yes
If you are willing to do programs, will you charge a fee? Yes
Department of History
319 Seerley Hall
University of Northern Iowa
Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0701
E-mail Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone Number: 319-273-7077
County: Black Hawk
Books By This Author
- Griswold v. Connecticut: Birth Control and the Constitutional Right of Privacy, University Press of Kansas, Lawrence, KS, 2005
- Historic U.S. Court Cases: An Encyclopedia, 2 vols., 2nd edition, Routledge, New York, 2001 (first edition published in 1992)
- The Struggle for Student Rights: Tinker v. Des Moines and the 1960s, University Press of Kansas, Lawrence, KS, 1997
- Insuring Against Disaster: The Nuclear Industry on Trial, Mercer University Press, Macon, GA, 1986
- American Legal Culture, 1908-1940, Greenwood University Press, Westport, CT, 1981