Comments from the author about writing:
Whatever I'm writing -- even, in a sense, when I'm writing poetry -- I'm always seeking a story. I mean that, even when working through the clusters of images and words that become a poem, I'm also uncovering some narrative, some journey to discovery. In shaping a piece of non-fiction too, a memoir or personal essay, there's always a story or two that need to be traced, and a number of narrative elements, even the background, have to be explicated as vividly and deeply as in a novel. My calling as a writer began with writing preteen tales of adventure, and while I hope I've gotten more sophisticated and pleasing, the story remains at the root of my inspiration. That said, I must add that I'm a sensualist, always striving to render my imaginary world nuggety and full of odor, whisper, and roar.
Literary awards received and date received:
- Major Artist grant from the IA Arts Council ($8500), for 2008-09. EARTHQUAKE I.D. (my novel) nominated for Pulitzer Prize, Fall, 2007.
- Finalist, New Millennium Writing, Fiction & Poetry, Jan. 2007. Meridian Editors Prize in Poetry ($1000, U. of VA), Spring 2006.
- Finalist, Starcherone Press & Gival Press Prize for Novel, 2005. Excellence grant Northwestern Center for the Writing Arts, ($2000), creative non-fiction, 2000.
- Finalist, Pirates Alley Faulkner Prize for the Novel, 1999. Finalist, Mary McCarthy Prize for short fiction, Sarabande, 1997.
- Metropolitan Arts Commission, OR ($500), creative non-fiction, 95. OR Council for the Humanities ($500), creative non-fiction, '94-'95.
- Honorable Mention, Pushcart Prize, '83, '89, 90. Ingram Merrill Fellowship ($5000), fiction, 1986.
- National Endowment for the Arts Fellowship, creative non-fiction ($7500), 1978-79.
Book Types: Fiction, Nonfiction, Short Story Collection
Audience Types: Adult
Genres: Experimental Fiction, Memoir, Translation, Experimental Fiction, Memoir, Translation, Essays, Mystery, Realistic Fiction, Science Fiction
Are you willing to do programs for schools, libraries, or other groups? Yes
Author Web site URL: http://www.johndomini.com
E-mail Address: email@example.com
Books By This Author
- Bedlam: short stories, Fiction International, St. Lawrence U, Canton, NY, 1981
- Highway Trade, Red Hen Press, Los Angeles, CA, 1998
- Talking Heads: 77, Red Hen Press, Los Angeles, CA, 2003
- Earthquake I.D., Red Hen Press, Los Angeles, CA, 2007
- A Tomb on the Periphery, Gival Press, Arlington, VA, 2008