Comments from the author about writing:
poets who write for enough years begin to long for a new voice or a new
style. The push to attain something new is usually a failure, which is
why most poets move into their later years simply repeating themselves.
Hoping to avoid this dilemma, I gave up poetry at the turn of the millennium
and focused exclusively on fiction (particularly the novel) and
nonfiction. I'm happy to let the poetry I wrote during the last 30 years
of the 20th Century stand on its own, without further additions.
Literary awards received and date received:
- Poetry Prize (Best Book of Poetry in 2002), Society of Midland Authors, April 2003.
- First Place, Column Writing, Iowa Associated Press Managing Editors Organization,1999.
- First Place, Master Columnist, Iowa Newspaper Association, April 24, 1998.
- Union League Civic and Arts Poetry Prize from Poetry, 1996.
- Nominated for Pushcart Prize: Best of the Small Presses, 1997, 1996, 1995, 1993, and 1992.
- "Plagiarism and Silence," named a "Notable Essay of 1994" by Robert Atwan for The Best American Essays: 1995, edited by Jamaica Kincaid.
- Frederick Bock Prize from Poetry, 1991.
- First Prize for the best poem published in Yankee magazine, 1990.
- National Endowment for the Arts Poetry Fellowship ($20,000), 1989.
- First Place Poetry Prize ($1,000), Iowa Arts Council's Literary Awards Competition, 1989.
Book Types: Fiction, Nonfiction, Poetry Collection
Audience Types: Adult
Genres: Poetry, Mystery, Realistic Fiction
Are you willing to do programs for schools, libraries, or other groups? Yes
If you are willing to do programs, will you charge a fee? Yes
Author Web site URL: http://www.nealbowers.com
E-mail Address: email@example.com
Books By This Author
- Words for the Taking: The Hunt for a Plagiarist (2nd Edition), Southern Illinois University Press, Carbondale, Illinois, 2007
- Out of the South (poems)., Louisiana State University Press, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, 2002
- Loose Ends (a novel), Random House, New York, NY, 2002
- Words For the Taking: The Hunt for a Plagiarist, W.W. Norton, New York, NY, 1997
- Night Vision (poems), Bookmark Press (University of Missouri--Kansas City), Kansas City, Missouri, 1992, 1993, 1996
- Lost in the Heartland (poems), Cedar Creek Press, Mason City, IA, 1990
- James Dickey: The Poet as Pitchman, University of Missouri Press, Columbia, MO, 1985
- The Golf Ball Diver, New Rivers Press, Minneapolis, MN, 1983
- Theodore Toethke: The Journey from I to Otherwise, University of Missouri Press, Columbia, MO, 1982